Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nike Women's Marathon

October 2011 was a very exciting time for me.  All summer, April and I raised money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and in turned we were trained to run in the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco.  It was a long stressful summer, trying to raise all of the money, but I raised almost all of it.  We flew to San Francisco with big team from the Boise area, and met up with 20,000 other women who were there to run.  About 5,000 of them were Team in Training members, who also raised money for the Society.  While there, I met a ton of amazing women.  Some were cancer survivors, some had spouses who were survivors, or were recently diagnosed.  Others, themselves were recently diagnosed, and were there to run before their treatments were started.  Others like myself were there to help out in a wonderful cause, hoping that someday it will really help someone in need.  There were a few times during the race that I thought April would kill me.  But I fought back, and we were able to finish together.  I would like to have been faster, but I determined to get faster.  Our time was around 5:45.  Not too bad for a first timer!!

While in San Francisco, were were able to so a little sight seeing.  We went to Alcatraz which was fantastic.  There was a few times while there that a weird feeling would come, knowing what all went on there. 
We also went to the wharf and ate some incredible seafood.  Some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl,  incredible Thai Food, and of course April and I ordered midnight Pizza!!

Running this race was a wonderful exprience for me.  It was such a fantastic weekend, and I hope that someday, I can run a marathon again!


No comments: